Saturday, April 14, 2012

Solo Trial Run

Just looked at the countdown app on my iPhone and my stomach did a full 360 somersault....40 days from today will mark the beginning of our adventure.  Talk about crazy things to go through my mind:  need to lose those lbs, schedule hair appointment (in Seattle of course!!), figure out how to wash GiGi for her big day and really need to edit the stuff I have inside her so that Lucy and/or Ethel's stuff can have a place once we hit the road!!!

Most importantly, I want to feel absolutely confident that I can manage the whole process on my own...from hook-up, campsite set-up and hook-up again.  I spent a few days camping on my own at one of my favorite state parks close to home which gave me a good confidence boost.  Doesn't hurt that I got plenty of rest, had no time schedules really and so no pressure.  OK, so it took me four laps arounds the campground before I was able to back her into the site but who cares, odds are I won't see those people again :)

So what would any person in their right mind do next?  DIAL IT UP A NOTCH!!!  Three days ago GiGi and I headed out of Hillsboro on our way to join members of our WBCCI Unit in lovely Canyonville, OR.  It was sooooo incredible to see peoeple's reactions as they passed me on the four hour drive and realized that (a) I was all by myself, (b) was towing it with my beloved beast Cayenne GTS and (c) this Roadtrip Chic had the biggest, goofball smile on her face....EVER.

My sweet husband was so proud of me and very patiently offered advice on which lane to be in at specific mergers on the freeway, etc.....and of course, I the ever sweet wife listened attentively :).  After one of his several check-in calls from work I heard him say, as he was hanging up the phone, "she's knocking it out!".  

Cutest thing ever happened when I got to the campsite....a very sweet couple who had spent the last two months traveling in their stunning motorcoach stopped by to say hi. He was impressed with my tow set-up and she  told me it "was HOT" to see this blonde chic, pulling an Airstream and setting her up all alone.  I think her favorite thing were my personalized plates...well worth the money because I smile everytime I see "GLAMPR".

No matter how many times I do this now and in the future, I will not tow GiGi one foot before walking through my mental checklist.   But for now, I'm going to enjoy some sunshine and marvel at how much I love, love, love this lifestyle. 

Safe travels.....
Thelma


4 comments:

  1. Atta girl Thelma! we tow with our Jeep Liberty so I know THAT look but I can't wait to see the, Is that blonde chick doin' that on her own? For this reason, I shall always wear my cowgirl hat when towing alone. I have a pink one, a sage to match the Airstreams upholstery and a white, goes with everything, Happy Trails and see ya in Ohio.
    Jojo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know camper neighbor Bob has had his share of Senior moments...hmmm, just how did Miss BB get that bruise??? Anyway Senior Bob's Blond Wife will be taking her first towing lesson this morning thanks to you, Louise, Lucy and Ethel's encouragement. Now, if I can just remember which RIGHT to use upon the command "Turn right".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jojo....I absolutely LOVE IT that you merchandise your cowgirl hats!!!
    Safe travels
    Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Miss BB....I giggled to myself all the way home yesterday :) Let me know how your towing lesson goes. Right means Right in all cases except when towing :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete